The other day I hosted a webinar going through the latest features of Sitecore 6.6 together with the two new modules Sitecore Item Web API and Sitecore Mobile SDK.
New features of Sitecore 6.6 are:
- MVC – Sitecore now supports mixed utilization of both Web Forms and MVC development.
- Device Simulators – ability to simulate other devices straight from the Page Editor.
- Page Preview – lets you preview your pages exactly as they are rendered on the actual device.
- Engagement Automation enhancements
- Dictionary enhancements – now supports multiple dictionaries, fallback and inheritance.
- Recycle Bin and Version Archive changes
- Executive Dashboard updates – more filtering, better search.
- Page Editor enhancements – a lot of new features previously only available through Content Editor.
- Lucene upgrade – 2.9.4
- SQL Server mirroring
Sitecore Mobile SDK is a new flexible framework that lets the developer build native mobile applications with the ability to read, create and update content in Sitecore.
In order to support Sitecore Mobile SDK, Sitecore released the Sitecore Item Web API. This is a REST-like API that returns JSON. It can be used to integrate Sitecore with f.ex. Java-based systems, build fast loading JQUERY menues or support mobile applications on any platform.
The embedded video is in Swedish, it starts with new Sitecore features and after 27 minutes I start talking about Item Web API and Mobile SDK. Enjoy!